Friday 2 May 2014

Costume Retrospective - "Timey-Wimey in B.L.U.E"

"Timey-Wimey in B.L.U.E." also known as my T.A.R.D.I.S. dress has been my project for the past several months. Running with my long standing tradition of costuming as things or concepts, I wanted to give myself the ultimate piece of Doctor Who paraphernalia that was better than anything I could buy in the store. It just so happened that this rolled over into my presentation piece for Costume Con.

I designed this piece around my love of historical and incorrectly historical costume designs. I didn't want steampunk, with gears and stuff. I wanted a grand dress. Strong, lady-like with just a hint of madness. So I went to the patterns, created my silhouette, and tried to draw in the aspects of the T.A.R.D.I.S. without breaking up the flow of the overall pieces. And I'm honestly pleased with how it turned out.

The dress of made of blue silk, black and white twill, various cottons and some drapery. It is trimmed different widths of velvet ribbon, and another of lace and chiffon. I have glittering rhinestones in the flowers of my bodice, and the ones on my skirt are made with LED lights. My T.A.R.D.I.S. lantern is a clock shaped fan, that illuminates with another LED. Hiding beneath the hoop skirt and really only seen when I twirl like a mad woman, I have silk spats with the seal of Rassalion. My commissioned pendant is the gold of the Time Vortex.

I wore and competed with this dress at Costume Con 32, in the the Historical Masquerade. This being my
first Costume Con, I didn't really know what to expect - especially being judged out of costume and on a whole separate day than the actual stage competition. So I went for it with all the nervous energy I could muster.

The "ordeal" wasn't actually that bad. The judges were extremely nice and relaxed. I'm sure I talked a mile a minute, but that's not a surprise. Fortunately, all three were familiar with Doctor Who, which made it much easier to explain the concepts I tried to incorporate. I had plan of attack I tried to follow with my explanation, but I'm not sure how well I managed to follow it with the nerves. But, all in all, I think it went well. At least I have a better idea of what's it like next time.

The next day was Tech practice, which frankly, was kind of fun. I kind of felt like a star, when the stage crew discussed blocking and lighting that would best suit the dress. Definitely better than having no idea how a planned presentation was actually going to look, without even see the stage.

Later on, the actual full rig up before the greenroom occurred marking the first time I had been in the whole dress for more than a half an hour. I survived the 5 hours in a corset which was,..... interesting. I sneezed once. It didn't work well. The wait in the greenroom wasn't that long - there were only 31 entries for the masq, though I was told this was large for a Costume Con.

Then came the actual presentation.


I don't remember much of it. I didn't fall over.

That was good.

Then came callbacks for photo - I was called twice, the second time being with the other T.A.R.D.I.S. dress. We made quite the pair!

After that; the Awards Ceremony.

To be honest, I didn't know what the outcome would be. I hoped I would get something. I would lying to say I didn't crave a little something for the design - it was a competition. But to compete again the sheer outstanding quality of everyone else, was terrifying and humbling - I didn't see anything that greenroom less than spectacular. And then:

Measure of Excellent Award - From the Northern Lights Chapter of the ICG
Best Documentation (Historical Interpretation) - Novice Division.
Best Time Machine (Presentation - Historical Interpretation)  - Novice Division.
Best Overall Workmanship (Historical Interpretation) - Novice Division.

... I mean, WHAT????? I was blown away. Hell, I'm still blown away. I have no idea what I did to deserve four friggin' awards. Something right, I guess but... yeah. I was stunned.

So was my face, apparently it was hilarious.

So yeah. I did it. I more than did it, really. Suddenly, now I'm a journeyman at the International level. Go figure? Guess that means I will have to up the anti for the next Costume Con, eh?

But seriously, I'm beyond thrilled. Don't know if the judges linger in the world of Blogger, but if you do -

Thank you so very much.

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment